Sunday 17 April 2016

World made up of sky and gorse

When I took my walk near the Arden Hotel and Birmingham NEC on the 5th of April, I was in search of blossom. This was because, in her entries for the 7th and 9th of April, Edith had mentioned seeing blackthorn, Damson and Plum. I started well, spotting some stray twigs with early blooms at the foot of a tree in the hotel car park.

Cherry blossom outside the Arden.
However, the huge trees between the A45 and the Birmingham NEC were not yet in flower. Luvkily there were other flowers to see. On 11th of April, 1906 Edith wrote about her time in Dartmoor:

Up on the moor the world seemed to be made up of sky and gorse - such acres of golden blossoms under a sky of cloudless blue.
Gorse, the great survivor, by the A45
I saw gorse too, although it was enlivening the side of the A45 under a leaden sky. Just round the corner, a great river of gold cascaded down a bank to one of the NEC car parks. I followed the bank round and cut across a road on my way to Pendigo lake.
Advertising for Comic Con
A quick walk through a grassy area with trees took me to the lakeside. 
My sketch of a cormorant - Pendigo lake, NEC
I perched on a seat in front of the Resort World hotel and watched the birds.  I saw 5 Canada Geese, a coot, 2 moorhen, 2 black-headed gulls and a cormorant, which obligingly sat on a post while I drew it.  Sketch finished, I noticed a cloud of white blossom near the lake side and hurried towards it.
Great-crested Grebe  - Pendigo lake, NEC
As I scurried along the lakeside path, an indignant flurry of feathers shot out from almost under my feet.  I had startled a Great Crested Grebe.
Puffs of blossom - NEC
Once I reached the tree, and looked up, I found it it had lovely puffs of blossom on a tracery of branches silhouetted against the now clear blue sky.  
Blackthorn blossom - Station Link Road.
On my way back to the hotel, a froth of blackthorn seemed to echo the clouds overhead. Just 10 days later I read, in the Birmingham Mail, that it has been snowing in Birmingham. I hope that the blossom isn't spoilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment