Friday 24 June 2016

Pond life and Bee Orchids

I've been making regular visits to the Trinity Park pond as part of the Wildlife Trusts' #30DaysWild challenge. On the 19th of May, 2016 I visited the pond and saw "3 black fuzzy Moorhen chicks clambering and tumbling around in the reeds".  Nearly a month later, I returned to see how the family were getting on. This apparently predictable area was to give me a few surprises.  First - as I approached the pond, I saw a small mammal, a vole or a mouse, run into the vegetation near the pond.

Moorhen and young.
Almost a month after I last saw them the moorhen family were doing well. I saw two of the young birds with a parent, which was carefully ushering them round the edge of the pond. The youngsters were larger and now soft-looking rather than fluffy. I spent some time sketching the scene, which was almost absurdly "chocolate box" with white water lilies in the foreground.

Female Mallard and ducklings.
While I was sketching the Moorhens, I also saw:
  • two Coots
  • a second adult Moorhen
  • four male Tufted Ducks, two of which had rather grubby looking white markings and was being chased by a more dominant male, whose white patches were clear and bright
  • a female Tufted Duck, keeping company with one of the males with clear white patches
  • a female Mallard with 3 well-grown ducklings.
  • two male Mallards.
Reedbed, where Blue Tits and Reed Buntings found foot and nesting material.
The water birds often hid in the feet of the reeds. While I was watching them I noticed small birds going to-and-from the shaggy reed mace (also called bullrush) catkins.  A Blue Tit was digging deep into the catkins, maybe searching for insects.  I managed to get a good look at a small brown bird gathering nesting material. I think it is a female reed bunting. 

Blue Tit at the mouth of its unusual nest.
I was baffled when, walking past the office building near the pond, I heard a lot of excited twittering. I looked up and around but there were no birds nearby. Then a bird shot out of a slot between bricks immediately above the carpark. In a tiny gap in this hard and hostile-looking surface, a Blue Tit was bringing up its family.

Bee orchids on vacant plot.
In early July, Edith wrote that:

"Miss F. gave me some Bee Orchids this afternoon, which she had gathered growing wild in Berkshire."

I've found Bee Orchids on the Trinity Park business park, which is only a few miles from Edith's home. There are some on a rough piece of grass by the bridge that cross the railway to the NEC, on the waste ground that I explored in my previous post and by the pond where the moorhens live. 

Bee orchid near the NEC bridge.
On my way from the office to the station, visitors to that week's Gardeners World Live show were amused to see me scrambling round taking photos of these little flowers. One lady, whose fondness for orchids was evident from her purchases was pleased to see someone else taking an interest in them, and pointed out some that I had missed.

A postscript - an article in the Birmingham mail tells us that the Bullring's last traditional flower-seller, Kate Kelly,  has died aged 89. She had worked there for 47 years alongside her two sisters.  The article says:

The well-known siblings came from a dynasty of traders who first pitched up to sell blooms at the famous marketplace more than 150 years ago.

I wonder if Edith ever shopped in the Bullring because, if so, she would have seen these flower sellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment