Friday 8 July 2016

I found the Meadowsweet in bloom ...

In her entry for June 26th, 1906, Edith describes a long country walk. She tells us of a breeze bringing her the scent of honeysuckle and roses. She says:

"I found the Meadow Sweet in bloom in many places, Gathered Self heal and Great Burnet ..."

Meadow Sweet.
Once again, I found myself looking for Edith's flowers along the stretch of road from the station to the office. There is a great deal of Meadow Sweet, but most of it is yet to bloom.  I found a sprig to photograph.  I also found the following flowers.

June 30 - Pink centaury, knapweed and other wayside flowers.
June 30 - Willowherb.
June 28 - Hypericum
June 30 - Pink Mallow.
June 30 - Agrimony
June 30 - Spear Thistle.
Later Edith says:

"Saw a great number of beautiful little Dragon flies - pale blue, with black markings, at a wayside pond."

On Thursday, I visited the pond next to the office, As I walked round, I startled a Damselfly, much like the ones Edith saw 110 years ago. 
June 30 - Female Tufted Duck and ducklings.
I looked across the lake and saw some of the resident birds including two female Tufted Ducks with their families. Each had about 8 ducklings. The tiny, fluffing ducklings were already diving below the surface.

For June the 28th, she says: "Second day of continuous rain" and describes the earthquakes around the country. For the 3 days I was in Birmingham, there has been a series of heavy downpours. When the rain stops, the sky remains grey and heavy.

June 28 - Young Canada Geese.
On Tuesday, I had a late night wander round Pendigo Lake. Great, flickering screens were showing tennis from a washed out Wimbledon. Near the entrance to my own hotel, the Crowne Plaza, I found a family of Canada Geese. One, presumably the male, was guarding the others, which were happily grooming and resting beside a busy path.

Resorts World
I tried out my bat detector and detected at least one bat at the South end of the lake, I was able to see it against the light of Resort World.

No comments:

Post a Comment